These are just a few of the many awards and recognitions received by our alumni, faculty and students in 2017/2018.
- Lee Anne Schmitt (Film/Video MFA 02 and Film/Video faculty member), Alexandra Cuesta (Film/Video MFA 09), Todd Gray (Art BFA 79, MFA 89), Eliza Hittman (Film/Video MFA 10) and Nicole Miller (Art BFA 05) received 2018 Guggenheim Fellowships.
- Adrian Molina (Film/Video BFA 07) co-directed PIXAR Animation Studios’ Coco, which won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature and the Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture - Animated.
- The new work, “Giggling Flame and Roaring Waves” by choreographer and dancer Antoine Hunter (Dance 02), founder and artistic director of Urban Jazz Dance Company, was commissioned by Oakland Ballet and premiered this spring. Hunter was featured in the most recent issue of The Pool, the CalArts alumni magazine.
- Greg Kurstin (Music BFA 92) won his second GRAMMY for Producer of the Year, Non-Classical.
- Ryan Bancroft (Music BFA 11, MFA 13 and Colburn Scholarship Recipient) won First Prize and the Audience Prize in the 2018 Malko Competition for Young Conductors.
- Condola Rashad (Theater BFA 08) received a Tony nomination for Best Actress in a Play for her role as Joan of Arc in Saint Joan on Broadway, her fourth Tony nomination.